Saturday, July 4, 2009

Piecing a Quilt

My current project is a quilt. I'm piecing the top this weekend.

The floral fabrics were purchased from Dragonfly Quilt Shop. I only bought a couple of fat quarters in each pattern because they were on sale, having no definite plan at the time of purchase. I just liked the design. It wasn't until I decided on a quilt and was trying to pick the coordinating solids that I researched and discovered the fabrics are part of the Elizabeths collection by Jennifer Chiaverini. I laughed when I found out the fabric is connected to a series of books. Serendipity! I'm not sure the books are my style, but I've added them to my wish list.


The squares are 4-1/2 inches. It took a while to cut all of them. I don't think I realized just how long it actually takes to prepare for piecing. Over a period of weeks, I washed, ironed, and cut all the squares, then started laying them out. I don't have table space for that. Instead I put up a curtain rod and hung a piece of flannel fabric. This became my design wall. I started with a scrap piece of flannel but it was too small of my ambitious endeavor.

I picked this flannel for the grid pattern. I turned the right side to the wall so the colors won't detract from my quilt colors, but the grid shows through enough to help keep things straight.

The green and cream solids are from Hobby Lobby. I originally planned to include a pink, but it seemed too brash.



I'm quite pleased with the random design.



I'll probably sash it in cream and bind with the green. I haven't started work on the back yet, but it will be green and cream with a few leftover floral fabrics squares.

This is only my second attempt at quilting. My first attempt worked out rather well. I used scraps purchased from Goodwill to make a placemat sized quilt. The scraps looked like they were cut from a designer's fabric sample book and all of the same pattern, just different colors. The piecing went quickly and smoothly and even the in-the-ditch hand quilting was easy. I actually should have finished this piece in January but laid it aside because the binding intimidated me. Last weekend I finally made my binding and stitched it on. It was a surprisingly simple process. I guess all the hours of quilt blog browsing paid off.

No comments:

Post a Comment